Does ScarAway Live Up to its Claims?
Dermaflage Has the Answers.
Many of us believe that there is beauty in imperfection and the uniqueness it represents. But, sometimes that imperfection means a scar. If a scar is stealing your confidence and keeping you from living your best life, it’s time to find a solution. The options can be overwhelming since scar products range from heavy-duty concealers to scar creams and silicone scar sheets like ScarAway. Here, we provide a crash-course with this ScarAway Review to help you decide whether silicone is the secret to healing scars.
Pros & Cons of Using ScarAway on Scars…
- Effectiveness — Evidence shows that silicone scar sheets like ScarAway can prevent hypertrophic (raised) scars and keloids.
- Professionally-Recommended. Silicone sheets are considered by many dermatologists and plastic surgeons to be the only proven home remedy for scars.
- ScarAway sheets can be used on all skin tones and on new scars (once the wound has healed) as well as older ones.
- Availability — ScarAway is easy to find in the first aid or pharmacy section of most major retailers and drugstores nationwide, and also on Amazon.com.
- Price — ScarAway is relatively inexpensive when compared to in-office procedures and high-end scar products.
- The sheets are comfortable and ultra-thin, breathable, washable, and last for 7 days.
- Not Suitable for Indented Scars – The major drawback to silicone scar treatments, including ScarAway, is that they are not shown to be effective for depressed or indented scars, such as acne pockmarks and ice pick scars.
- Commitment – You must be diligent about wearing the ScarAway sheets for at least 12 hours each day.
- Patience – Optimal results take around 12 weeks.
- Uncomfortable – Despite their flexibility, some people may find the sheets to be uncomfortable. For scars on the face or near a joint, ScarAway may not be an option because of the constant movement.
- Poor Aesthetics – Many people report feeling more self-conscious wearing the sheets on their faces.
Read on to untangle the truth about using ScarAway, including:
- What ScarAway is and what it contains.
- What it claims to do for scars.
- How to use silicone sheets on your scars.
- The effectiveness on improving the appearance of scars.
- ScarAway review by users.
- Pros and Cons of using ScarAway.
- How to use Dermaflage to instantly hide your scars.
When treating scars with over-the-counter products like ScarAway sheets, be sure to follow the advice of a dermatologist or other medical professional who can recommend the best scar treatments for you. Discontinue use if your skin shows signs of irritation or allergy. Silicone sheets should not be used on open wounds.
What Are ScarAway Silicone Sheets?
ScarAway is professional grade, self-adhesive silicone sheeting with patented, 100% silicone “Silon” technology. The sheets are smooth fabric on one side, and silicone on the other, and are breathable and flexible. They may be trimmed to fit the size of the scar.
ScarAway states that silicone sheeting is the number one recommended scar treatment by dermatologists and plastic surgeons. The company claims that use of the sheeting will “effectively shrink, flatten and fade hypertrophic (raised) and keloid scars” – whether they are newly-formed scars or old. These types of scars include surgery scars, acne scars, burns, chicken pox, scars from insect or dog bites, medical scars such as skin cancer removal, accidents, and other causes. Silicone sheets are not proven to be effective on indented scars, such as pockmarks or ice pick scars.
Information on the ScarAway website further details the product’s benefits: “ScarAway’s Advanced Silicone Technology has been shown in clinical studies to reduce the appearance of scars. This innovative technology simulates the natural barrier function of healthy skin, hydrating scar tissue to soften the scar, softening and flattening it. Used after surgery or injury, our advanced technology helps treat and prevent abnormal scar formation. ScarAway® helps alleviate the itching and discomfort associated with scars.” Though individual results will vary, the company states that optimal results may be achieved after about 12 weeks of use.
How to Use ScarAway Sheets on Scars:
According to the maker, you should not use ScarAway on open wounds. To use the sheets on scars, you need to wash and dry the scar area and then apply the silicone sheet with the adhesive side directly on the scar. Each sheet should be worn for at least 12 hours per day and is washable and durable for 7 days of use. They can be worn under clothing.
How Effective is ScarAway for Fading Scars?
We’ve seen the huge array of home remedies designed to treat or fade scars, but silicone gel sheets are among the very few that are clinically proven to work to soften and flatten raised scars and fade their color, as well as prevent the formation of new scars. Some of the simplest explanations include the following articles:
- This L.A. Times article on the effectiveness of scar treatments explains the “huge gap between the advertised benefits of over-the-counter scar products and the clinical evidence that they actually work” – and states that silicone gel sheeting is the exception. The article refers to research spanning 30 years suggests that silicone sheets, such as ScarAway, keep scars hydrated by keeping them covered and holding the moisture in. This boosted hydration may help speed up the healing process and lead to less noticeable scars.
- The performance and safety of silicone sheets is also discussed in The Dermatologist, with favorable evidence.
- This article that appears on “PubMed” contains in-depth information on the efficacy of silicone gel, including sheeting, on raised scars. It includes the important point that satisfactory results require regular, correct use of the sheeting.
ScarAway Review: Straight from the Users
Though there is plenty of research-based information on ScarAway, reviews from people who have used the product are always valuable. ScarAway has an impressive amount of positive reviews, but there are, of course, some less-than-perfect experiences as well. Click here to check out the whole range of ratings on Amazon.
Dermaflage Hides Scars While They Heal
When you need to hide an indented scar, including facial scars, Dermaflage uses the power of silicone in a different but equally effective way. This innovative topical filler is a liquid silicone that temporarily fills in recessed scars, including acne scars, pockmarks, ice pick scars, rolling scars and boxcar scars. Once the liquid sets, the indented areas appear to be “resurfaced” and level with the surrounding skin. The final game-changing step is to create the look and feel of real skin with a special texturizing pad that’s included in the Dermaflage Starter Kit. The result is waterproof, sweat-proof, budge-proof full scar coverage that’s virtually invisible – and stays that way for up to 36 hours without the hassle of touch-ups or reapplication. Dermaflage is revolutionizing the way that people live with scars, as shown in the before-and-after photos of real customers.
We believe that beauty means being comfortable in your own skin, flaws and all. After all, some “imperfections” are signs of a life well-lived! But, if a scar is keeping you from living each day to the fullest, then we’re here to help you find the best scar solution without wasting time and money on products that may leave you disappointed. Silicone scar sheets, like ScarAway, have the proof to back up their claims for improving the appearance of raised scars. If you want an invisible scar concealer that also delivers the benefits of silicone, try Dermaflage for full-coverage camouflage that looks like great skin instead of great makeup.
What do you think about silicone scar sheets? Tell us about your results with your ScarAway review or any other scar treatments or products you’ve used. Your comments will help other readers find their own best scar solution!